Thursday, August 1, 2013

Iceland, Pt. 3


July 23rd, 2013

It is 4 am in Iceland, 12 am at home.
We left Selfoss this morning.  It was hard to drive away.  I don't know what it is about this place.  As we were leaving Reykjavik and pulling into Reykjanesb√¶r this evening, the sun was setting in this magnificent golden-tipped way that made everything fiery.  A golden world.  The golden hour is suspended in time here.  It lasts for hours with soft pink skies. 
We arrived at our small wood cabin hidden by vast, overgrown green gardens.  Our hosts welcome us with fierce exuberance even though it is very late at night.  I am once again taken aback by how kind these people of Iceland are.  As I lift Rosalita out of the car, I hear one of our hosts exclaim passionately, "What a beautiful baby!", although I can hardly hear it as I am struck in complete awe of this tiny seaside neighborhood.  At the end of a row of houses, sits a white steepled church in the pink and gold horizon alongside a small graveyard next to the crashing waves.  Children are playing and I hear them laughing and shrieking as they ride their bikes along the still sunlit streets of 11 pm.  This entire time, I have found myself apologizing for being absent-minded with people because I cannot take my eyes away from the beauty of this place.  I even walked right into a man on the street of a little island we sailed to, while staring straight up to the most gigantic cliff, seeing mountain goats standing on the vertical side of a huge mountain for the first time in my life.  Embarrassed, I apologized quietly and profusely but continued to stare upward at those tiny specks on the side of the hill. 
What is it about this place? The landscape is obviously beautiful.  How many times have I already used (or thought) the words gold, green, or pink?  But I could use them even more.  There aren't enough adjectives in the thesaurus to describe it all.  Here, colors seem to be used in their truest form.   I see it in the stoic horses that stand all in the same direction, the deep blue sea drenched in milky fog, the warm black rocks covered in velvety moss.  
I don't know what I am saying by now.  I'm delirious and tired and time really doesn't seem to exist here in this place where the sun never sets.  I am watching Rosalita sleep and thinking about carrying her through this country, slung happily on my back, wondering how it all must seem through her eyes. 

We will come back here. The kinship I feel with this quiet country, the landscapes, the roaring oceans, and the kind people with their lovely and lyrical language will not be forgotten.


please watch in HD ♥

This is Part Three of a three part post for my Sakura Bloom Sling Diary on Kinship.
I am wearing a Pure Linen sling in Organic Maple, kindly provided by Sakura Bloom.
song in video: summer bird diamond by seabear

14 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! As always! <3 I am still very envious but also super thankful that I was able to see Iceland through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the video! these pics are so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love seeing people traveling with their children! happy to have come across your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I came across this blog after seeing it linked on Cup of Jo, and it couldn't be more timely - I leave for a trip Iceland next week! Your photos are beyond gorgeous and I'm wondering if you have any advice on must see spots? Also, can you tell me more about the charming place in the "restaurant and bar" photo, please? This is making me even more excited than I already was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I am so envious of you! I would give anything to experience Iceland again. I am glad you like my photos :) The little red restaurant and bar you are asking about is in the town Arnarstapi, which is one of the first stops along the way when you are driving the Snaefellsnes peninsula. It's very tiny but so, so beautiful. We stayed in Selfoss and Reykjanesbaer and I highly recommend both places. Selfoss has a beautiful river that runs through it and Reykjanesbaer is right on the ocean and 10 minutes away from Keflavik airport and only about 30 or so minutes from Reykjavik. Also, Reykjavik is amazing!
      You will love it and I hope your trip goes smoothly and safely :)

      Delete
  5. Dear Angelica,
    Why don't I found your beautiful blog earlier?! Your photos are absolutely stunning and lovely.. I am looking forward to see some more and read about your adventures and little things in life. Lots of love from Berlin! Sarina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed these images, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angelica -

    I've come back to this beautiful post several times in the last year looking at the church you visited. I'm finally planning a trip to Iceland and I would love to visit this church, I've spent hours & hours trying to find it, looking at churches near Selfoss & near the coast and I realized I could easily reach out and see if you knew where it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Gorgeous pics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi brittany! This church is on the snaefellsnes peninsula past arnarstapi. If you drive the road through the snaefellsnes peninsula, it's right on the side of the road, you can't miss it :) hope that helps!!!

      Delete