Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Sling Diaries, Vol. III: Memory

(for abuelita )

flowers are memories
& you have become my own dusky floral memory
with your powder scented soaps
and shower curtains made of alençon lace
and clouded rosewaters surrounded by glittery glow-in-the-dark virgin marys

you died one week before rosalita was born.
at your funeral i ran out of the cathedral during ave maria
and stumbled wildly onto a deserted playground
and 
with 9 months of rosalita inside of me
climbed to the highest point of the wooden jungle gym
and watched the buttery mango sunset transform and ripen into strawberries, then fig, then plum.
that was the last time i felt closest to you.

until this moment
when i stand once again in your empty home
left only with your
powder scented soaps
wearing the baby you loved so much
that you missed by
7 days.

I am wearing a Simple Silk Sling in Fig, c/o Sakura Bloom

9 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful and heartbreaking, Angelica. I miss my grandmother quite profoundly too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully written, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so so so so beautiful <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a manificent way to honour a soul so dear to your heart. This is beauty at its most pure x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sad. :'( I've missed Blita so much lately. It still doesn't seem completely real to me since I'm so far away. I still can't believe she didn't make it. Rosalita was one of the things that she was trying to hold on for. She loved little Rosalita so much. She was so happy for you and knew that Ros was going to light up your life. She would be so proud of you and the mother that you've become. Thank you for sharing this . It made me really happy that you talked about it. Your pictures are beautiful as always and it was really nice to see Blitas house and Rosalita in it. I love you gel!!! And I'm so happy you put her prayer shawl on Ros!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad and beautiful post. Amazing pics

    ReplyDelete
  7. She didnt miss her, she just had to see her first. ;)

    Im tryin to figure out which sling to buy because I can only afford one (not the luxe either lol) and just read this.

    Tears. Eesh hormonal lovin' tears.
    *buffalomtnmama*

    ReplyDelete
  8. She didnt miss her, she just had to see her first. ;)

    Im tryin to figure out which sling to buy because I can only afford one (not the luxe either lol) and just read this.

    Tears. Eesh hormonal lovin' tears.
    *buffalomtnmama*

    ReplyDelete